|1||Screen and Score|
- Read the applications, score each application, at least 2 readers and a third ‘blind’ reading
- Write out scores and process
Top 30, 10 and 5 winners
- At least 3 – 7 judges (people of high standing in the community) are presented with single page summaries of the nominees including information on place of employment and relevant testimonials.
- At least two judges should also have some expertise in the areas in which nominees work (i.e. health/ education/ policing etc). This is important to provide additional context.
- Judges, preferably in camera, deliberate on the best nominees taking into account where they come from, what they do and the socio-economic environment in which they operate.
- AL is particularly conscious about the important role that women and marginalised groups play in shifting norms and challenging behaviours. As a result, AL is fully transparent about selecting a diverse, representative group of men, women and where possible, people from marginalised groups.
- Call nominator, ask questions about character, why they are a person of integrity. Ask for details about specific words used i.e. discipline,
- Call nominee, ask questions about character, request additional referees.
- Contact additional referees via phone, including colleague/ friend/ manager/ family member
- Social media check including content check, types of comments, posts etc
- News stories, check on general news outlets
- Verify employment, position and record with public service ministry (or in-country equivalent);
- If possible/ relevant, check with corruption hotline or conduct a criminal background check;
- If possible, check with trusted civil servants in the specific department/ministry if there are any in the Lab’s network.
- Also check with former colleagues in previous ministries.
- All finalists complete a declaration and confirm compliance with campaign participation T&C’s
- Present info page, including stories, to judges
- Record, if possible, deliberations
- Selection criteria are amended to context but broadly,
- Promoting and maintaining high standards of professional ethics;
- Providing service impartially, fairly, equitably and without bias;
- Utilising resources efficiently and effectively;
- Responding to people’s needs; the citizens are encouraged to participate in policy-making; and
- Rendering an accountable, transparent, and development-oriented public administration
Top 5 (2 reserves)
|6||Meal/ meeting with Icons and nominator|
- Ideally an AL member of staff/ partner/ friend/ volunteers should meet with Icons and nominators prior to selection.
- Where this is not feasible (due to finances/ distance), it is important that staff and film teams meet with Icons prior to filming.
|7||Additional verification in community|
- Monitor how Icons engage with community members, colleagues, friends
- Check with respected journalists in the community on their impressions/knowledge